UNCOVERED INTERVIEWS: Anna Bell

We absolutely loved Anna Bell's new novel Don't Tell The Boss, in which Penny Robinson (lovable heroine of 2013 book Don't Tell The Groom) returns for more secrets and shenanigans, this time turning her hand to professional wedding planning (rather accidentally!). Having been unable to put the book down, we just had to put our weekly questions to Anna to find out more about the Don't Tell series and what's coming next!

Tell us about your latest novel in 15 words or less.
Penny accidentally moonlights as a wedding planner, putting her day job in jeopardy.

What inspired you to write Don't Tell the Boss?
I loved writing Don’t Tell the Groom. The main character Penny was so much fun and when I tried to write another book it was her I kept imagining. Once I’d decided I was going to write a sequel it was a matter of trying to work out what else Penny would keep secret, all I knew at first was that it had to be wedding related.

Where do you do most of your writing?
I’m lucky enough to have my own writing room, although I've not been able to use it yet. We’re having our house renovated and because no one has to sleep in my office it seems to get used as the dumping room for the contents of whatever room is being worked on. When I finally do get to use it, it will be great. It has bright yellow walls, a lovely big desk and a comfy sofa. I've got canvases on my book covers hanging on the wall to inspire me, along with photos from my traveling adventures.

What have you been reading recently?
I've been reading a lot of thrillers lately. Dan Brown, David Baldacci and Scott Mariani. Looking after a small baby means I don’t get a lot of time for reading (or writing) and so I've been trying to steer clear of reading rom-coms whilst I work on my latest book. I’m about to have two months off writing over the summer, and on my to be read pile are Ali Harris First Last Kiss and Dorothy Koomson's Flavours of Love.

Which part of Don't Tell the Boss did you enjoy writing the most?
My favourite scene is where the main characters go out to a restaurant and Lou, Penny’s best friend, causes all sorts of mayhem after a case of mistaken identity. I love it when you write a scene where there’s lots of characters that play off one another.

Do you have any writing tips you can share?
I always think writing a quick and dirty first draft is good to get the creative juices flowing. There’s plenty of time to finesse and polish what you've written in the editing stages. I always think that the longer time you spend on the first draft, the more self doubt and writers block you get.

Are you working on anything else at the moment and if so, can you tell us?
I’m working on the third part in the ‘Don’t Tell’ series. Penny’s back and she’s got another big secret. I can’t tell you too much as it might ruin Don’t Tell the Boss, but except more bridezillas and a maybe the pitter patter of tiny feet!

Thanks, Anna!

You can find out more about Anna Bell and her books by visiting her website and following her on Twitter.

Don't Tell the Boss by Anna Bell
When newlywed Penny turns her hand to some casual wedding planning she only wants to help other women afford the big day of their dreams.

But taming bridezillas turns out to be a full-time occupation, and what began as a hobby becomes a personal and professional nightmare.

Soon Penny is struggling to keep her day job and prevent her own marriage from collapsing under the strain: tired, stressed and knee-deep in ivory satin, is Penny's life and livelihood hanging by a thread?

No comments